We encourage women to educate themselves about maternal and child health.
Pregnancy can be a time where lots of advice is given – family, friends, co-workers may all want to share their stories and advice. There is also a lot of information on the internet. When it comes to the health of you and your baby, it is important to get information from trustworthy sources.
The sites below have been reviewed by our group, and are published by healthcare professionals. Your doctor can answer any questions you have or clarify information you have heard or read. We also recommend prenatal classes; there are several options below.
General Pregnancy Comprehensive Websites
- PregnancyInfo.ca Information on pregnancy and childbirth from the Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada
- www.OMama.com Information about all stages of pregnancy, labour & birth, postpartum and newborn care. Also available as an app!
- Best Start Ontario’s pregnancy, newborn and early childhood development resource centre.
- Ottawa Public Health Pregnancy and Parenting Information
- Ottawa Breastfeeds Connecting you with your community resources.
- Breastfeeding Inc. Dr. Jack Newman’s breastfeeding resources including information sheets, video clips and articles.
- La Leche League Canada The encouragement, promotion and provision or mother-to-mother breastfeeding support
- Telehealth Ontario- Free telephone service where you speak to a nurse. Toll-free: 1-866-797-0000
Cesarean Section, Breech Birth and Vaginal Birth after Caesarean Section
Genetic Screening Choices
- Guide to Understanding Prenatal Genetic Testing
- Mount Sinai Prenatal Genetic Testing
- Prenatal Screening Program Ontario
- The Ottawa Hospital – Prenatal Information Sessions The prenatal orientation session consists of a PowerPoint presentation outlining what to expect during your stay at The Ottawa Hospital. The slideshow will include a general overview of the Obstetrical Assessment Unit, Birthing Unit, Special Care Nursery and Mother Baby Unit. There will be a question period following the presentation. Please consult the schedule for more details.
- Ottawa Public Health Prenatal Classes
Medication and Drug Exposure in Pregnancy
- Postpartum Mom Groups Family Services Ottawa
- Postpartum Depression Support
- Postpartum Depression Canadian Mental Health Association
- Life with a New Baby